1. A border or background for a picture; SYN. matting.
2. A piece of thick padding up on the floor for gymnastic sports.
3. A thick flat pad used as a floor covering.
4. Something made up of densely tangled or adhering filaments or strands especially of organic matter
5. A large slab usually of reinforced concrete used as the supporting base of a building
1. To cover or lay with mats.
2. To twist, twine, or braid together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle.
3. To provide (a picture) with a mat