1. A negotiator who hopes to gain concessions by refusing to come to terms
2. A refusal by a negotiator to come to terms in the hope of obtaining a better deal.
3. The act of hiding playing cards in a gambling game so they are available for personal use later.
4. When you hold out, you resist an attack, pressure, or temptation or you continue to survive in a dangerous situation.
5. When you refuse to compromise in a negotiation and accept anything less than your original demands, you are a holdout.