ETYM French forge, from Latin fabrica the workshop of an artisan who works in hard materials, from faber artisan, smith, as adj, skillful, ingenious. Related to Fabric.
1. A special hearth where metal is heated before shaping.
2. A workplace where metal is worked by heating and hammering; SYN. smithy.
1. To make a copy of with the intent to deceive; SYN. fake, counterfeit.
2. To move ahead steadily.
3. To move with increasing speed; SYN. spurt, spirt.
4. To shape with a hammer, in the case of of metals: to hammer.