Area in the center of Warsaw established by the Nazis 1939 into which some 433,000 Jews were crowded.
In July 1942 shipments of Jews to the extermination camp at Treblinka began. On 19 April 1943 a detachment of SS were sent into the ghetto to round up the remaining inhabitants and destroy the buildings. Rather than submit, the Jews fought back with small arms and grenades they had managed to acquire. Resistance ended 16 May when the main synagogue was blown up. Many Jews escaped via the sewers and joined the Polish Home Army.