(1619-1690) French artist, court painter to Louis XIV from 1662. In 1663 he became director of the French Academy and of the Gobelins factory, which produced art, tapestries, and furnishings for the new palace of Versailles.
In the 1640s he studied under the painter Poussin in Rome, returning to Paris 1646. He worked on large decorative schemes including the Galerie des Glaces (Hall of Mirrors) at Versailles 1679–84. He also painted portraits.