1. A small fragment; a piece broken off from a larger object; SYN. bit, piece, fragmen, shard.
2. The act of chipping something; SYN. chipping, splintering.
3. A thin crisp slice of potato fried in deep fat; SYN. crisp, potato chip, Saratoga chip.
4. A small disk-shaped counter used to represent money when gambling; SYN. poker chip.
5. A small crystal of a silicon semiconductor fabricated to carry out a number of electronic functions in an integrated circuit; SYN. microchip, micro chip, silicon chip.
6. (Golf) A low running approach shot; SYN. chip shot.
7. A piece of dried dung; SYN. cow chip, buffalo chip.
8. (Nautical) A triangular piece of wood attached to the end of a log line.
See integrated circuit.
1. To break a small piece off from; SYN. knap, cut off, break off.
2. To break off; of a piece from a whole; SYN. chip off, come off, break away, break off.
3. To form by chipping
4. To play a chip shot (a short approach shot), in golf.