Sinonimi: bell shape | campana | ship's bell
ETYM AS. belle, from bellan to bellow. Related to Bellow.
(Homonym: bel, Bel, belle).
1. A hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck.
2. The shape of a bell; SYN. bell shape, campana.
3. The sound of a bell.
4. The flared opening of a tubular device.
5. (Nautical) Each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.; SYN. ship's bell.
A bell that is held in the hand.
1. A rattling, clinking, or tinkling sound, as of little bells or pieces of metal.
2. That which makes a jingling sound, as a rattle.
3. A short verse or song used in advertising, usually associated with a particular product.
Sinonimi: dead ringer
1. A contestant entered in a competition under false pretenses.
2. (Informal) A person who is almost identical to another; SYN. dead ringer.
3. One that encircles or puts a ring around (as a quoit or horseshoe that lodges so as to surround the peg)