ETYM as. hrathor, compar. of hrathe, hraethe, quickly, immediately. Related to Rath.
1. On the contrary; SYN. instead.
2. To some (great or small) extent; SYN. kind of, kinda, sort of.
3. More correctly speaking.
4. To the contrary; instead.
5. In some degree; somewhat — often used as a mild intensive.
ETYM as. up, upp, űp; akin to OFries. up, op, Dutch op, os. űp, Old High Germ. űf, German auf, Icel. and Swed. upp, Dan. op, Goth. iup, and probably to Eng. over. Related to Over.
1. Spatially or metaphorically from a lower to a higher position; SYN. upwards, upward, upwardly.
2. Nearer to the speaker.
3. To a higher intensity.
4. To a later time; SYN. upwards, upward.
5. To a more central or a more northerly place.