ETYM French chaîne, from Latin catena. Related to Catenate.
Unit of length equal to 20 metres.
1. A series of (usually metal) rings or links fitted into one another to make a flexible ligament.
2. A number of similar establishments (stores or restaurants or banks or hotels or theaters) under one ownership.
3. A series of things depending on each other as if linked together; SYN. concatenation.
4. Anything that acts as a restraint.
5. A series of linked atoms (generally in an organic molecule); SYN. chemical chain.
6. A unit of length.