1. (Architecture) Used of buildings; standing apart from others.
2. Being or feeling set or kept apart from others; SYN. isolated, separated, set-apart.
3. No longer connected or joined; SYN. separated.
4. Not fixed in position; SYN. free.
ETYM French, from Latin distans, -antis, p. pr. of distare to stand apart, be separate or distant; dis- + stare to stand. Related to Stand.
1. Far apart in relevance or relationship.
2. Far distant in space; SYN. remote, removed.
3. Far distant in time; SYN. remote, removed.
4. Separated in space or time or coming from or going to a distance.