Behind; toward the stern from
Toward or at the stern; aft
ETYM Shortened from aback.
1. At or to or toward or the back or rear; SYN. backward, backwards, rearward, rearwards.
2. In answer; SYN. in reply.
3. In or to or toward a former location.
4. In or to or toward a past time; SYN. backward.
5. In or to or toward an original condition.
6. In repayment or retaliation.
In a manner or order or direction the reverse of normal; SYN. backwards.
1. Reluctantly; slowly; aversely.
2. Perversely; ill.
With the stern in advance; backward