ETYM Old Eng. drane a dronebee, as. drân; akin to os. drân, Old High Germ. treno, German drohne. Related to Drone.
Stingless male bee in a colony of social bees (esp. honeybees) whose sole function is to mate with the queen.
1. The male of a bee (as the honeybee) that has no sting and gathers no honey.
2. One that lives on the labors of others; parasite.
Sinonimi: poriferan | parazoan
ETYM Old Fren. esponge, French éponge, Latin spongia, Greek. Related to Fungus, Spunk.
Any saclike simple invertebrate of the phylum Porifera, usually marine. A sponge has a hollow body, its cavity lined by cells bearing flagellae, whose whiplike movements keep water circulating, bringing in a stream of food particles. The body walls are strengthened with protein (as in the bath sponge) or small spikes of silica, or a framework of calcium carbonate.
1. A porous pad of rubber, cellulose, or sponge used as a cleaning tool.
2. A porous mass of interlacing fibers the forms the internal skeleton of various marine animals and usable to absorb water.
3. Primitive multicellular marine animal whose porous body is supported by a fibrous skeletal framework; usually occurs in sessile colonies; SYN. poriferan, parazoan.