ETYM Old Eng. calf, kelf, AS. cealf; akin to Dutch kalf, German kalb, Icel. kâlfr, Swed. kalf, Dan. kalv, Goth. kalbô; cf. Skr. garbha fetus, young, Greek, Skr grabh to seize, conceive, Irish colpa, colpach, a calf.
1. Young of domestic cattle.
2. Fine leather from the skin of a calf; SYN. calfskin.
3. Young of various large placental mammals e.g. whale or giraffe or elephant or buffalo.
1. A male child (a familiar term of address to a boy); SYN. lad, laddie, sonny, sonny boy.
2. An awkward and inexperienced youth; SYN. greenhorn, rookie.
3. The young of certain carnivorous mammals such as the bear or wolf or lion; SYN. young carnivore.