The pointed head or striking tip of an arrow.
ETYM Old Fren. dart, of German origin; cf. Old High Germ. tart javelin, dart, AS. darath, daroth, Swed. dart dagger, Icel. darrathr dart.
1. A small narrow pointed missile that is thrown or shot.
2. A tapered tuck made in dressmaking.
ETYM Old Eng. nedle, as. naedl; akin to Dutch neald, os. nâdla, German nadel, Old High Germ. nâdal, nâdala, Icel. nâl, Swed. nal, Dan. naal, and also to German nähen to sew, Old High Germ. nâjan, Latin nere to spin.
1. A sharp pointed implement (usually steel).
2. A slender pointer for indicating the reading on the scale of a measuring instrument.
1. One that points out; especially; a rod used to direct attention
2. An indicator as on a dial.
3. One that furnishes with points
4. A useful suggestion or hint; tip