ETYM AS. yldra, compar. of eald old. Related to Old.
Used of the older of two persons of the same name especially used to distinguish a father from his son; SYN. older, sr.
Old, aged, senior
Old; advanced beyond middle age; bordering on old age.
1. Of greater importance or stature or rank
2. Of greater seriousness or danger
3. Greater in number or size or amount
4. Greater in scope or effect
5. Of the field of academic study in which one concentrates or specializes
6. (Music) Of a scale or mode
7. (Law) Of full legal age
8. (British) Of the elder of two boys with the same family name
ETYM Latin senior, compar. of senex, gen. senis, old. Related to Sir.
Older; higher in rank; longer in length of tenure or service.
Used of the fourth and final year in United States high school or college; SYN. fourth-year.