ETYM Old Eng. auncien, French ancien, Late Lat. antianus, from Latin ante before. Related to Ante-, pref.
1. Belonging to times long past especially of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire.
2. Very old.
ETYM Latin inveteratus, p. p. of inveterare to render old; pref. in- in + vetus, veteris, old. Related to Veteran.
1. Firmly established by long continuance; obstinate; deep-rooted; of long standing.
2. Having habits fixed by long continuance; confirmed; habitual.
3. Long-established; confirmed.
4. Confirmed; long-established.
Of time long past