(Irregular preterit, past participle: bent).
1. To cause to assume a crooked or angular form; SYN. deform, twist.
2. To change direction.
3. To form a curve; SYN. flex.
Sinonimi: bow down
1. To bend one's knee or body, or lower one's head; SYN. bow down.
2. To bend the head or the upper part of the body in a gesture of respect or greeting.
3. To play on a string instrument.
1. To fasten with a buckle or buckles; SYN. clasp.
2. To fold or collapse; SYN. crumple.
To curve upward in the middle.
ETYM Latin contortus, p. p. of contorquere to twist; con- + torquere to twist. Related to Torture.
To twist and press out of shape; SYN. deform, distort, wring.
1. To curl tightly, of hair; SYN. crape, frizzle, frizz, kink up, kink.
2. To make ridges into by pinching together; SYN. pinch.
1. To cast down.
2. To cast down the spirits of; to dispirit; to discourage; to dishearten.
1. To become folded; SYN. fold up.
2. To bend or lay so that one part covers the other; SYN. fold up, turn up.
3. To incorporate a food ingredient into a mixture by repeated overturnings without stirring or beating.
4. To intertwine.
To draw up or gather into close compass; to wrap or roll, as a sail or a flag.
1. To catch with a hook
2. To fasten with a hook.
3. To hit with a hock; in boxing.
4. (Golf) To hit a ball and put a spin on it so that it travels to the left.
5. To take by theft; SYN. snitch, thieve, cop, knock off, glom.