ETYM French audience, Latin audientia, from audire to hear. Related to Audible.
1. A gathering of spectators or listeners at a (usually public) performance.
2. The part of the general public interested in a source of information or entertainment.
1. The ability to hear; the auditory faculty; SYN. audition, auditory sense, sense of hearing, auditory modality.
2. An opportunity to state one's case and be heard; SYN. audience.
3. A session (of a committee or grand jury) in which witnesses are called and testimony is taken.
4. An investigation (usually by a court of law).