ETYM Old Eng. shoppe, schoppe, as. sceoppa a treasury, a storehouse, stall, booth; akin to scypen a shed, lg. schup a shed, German schoppen, schuppen, a shed, a coachhouse, Old High Germ. scopf.
A mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services; SYN. store.
Sinonimi: piece of work
ETYM Old Eng. work, werk, weorc, AS. weorc, worc; akin to OFries. werk, wirk, OS., Dutch, and German werk, Old High Germ. werc, werah, Icel. and Swed. verk, Dan. vaerk, Goth. gawaúrki, Greek ergon.
1. Employment; a job.
2. Activity directed toward making or doing something.
3. Something produced or accomplished through the effort or activity or agency of a person or thing; SYN. piece of work.
ETYM AS. weorchaus.
1. A county jail that holds prisoners for periods up to 18 months.
2. (Brit) A poorhouse where able-bodied poor are compelled to labor.
1. A brief intensive course for a small group; emphasizes problem solving.
2. Small establishment where handcrafts or manufacturing are done; SYN. shop.