ETYM Latin adultus, p. p. of adolescere, akin to alere to nourish: cf. French adulte. Related to Adolescent, Old.
(Of animals) Fully developed; SYN. big, full-grown, fully grown, grown, grownup.
Designed to arouse lust
1. Of greater importance or stature or rank
2. Of greater seriousness or danger
3. Greater in number or size or amount
4. Greater in scope or effect
5. Of the field of academic study in which one concentrates or specializes
6. (Music) Of a scale or mode
7. (Law) Of full legal age
8. (British) Of the elder of two boys with the same family name