(Homonym: dew, due).
(Irregular preterit, past participle: did, done).
1. To perform or act; .
2. To carry on or manage; SYN. manage.
3. To create or design, often in a certain way; SYN. make.
4. To get (something) done; SYN. perform.
5. To proceed or get along; SYN. fare, make out, come, get along.
6. To travel or traverse (a distance).
7. A function word used to form questions.
8. A function word used, in the negative, to frame negative sentences.
ETYM Old Eng. hacchen, hetchen; akin to German hecken, Dan. hekke; cf. Mid. High Germ. hagen bull; perh. akin to Eng. hatch a half door, and orig. meaning, to produce under a hatch.
To emerge from the eggs; of birds or reptiles.