An impurity that is added in small quantities to semiconductor material during the manufacture of diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. The resistance of a semiconductor falls between the resistance of a conductor and the resistance of an insulator (hence its name); dopants are added to the semiconductor to increase its conductivity. The type and amount of dopant determine whether the semiconductor will be N-type (in which current is conducted by free electrons) or P-type (in which current is conducted by electron vacancies, called holes). Common dopants include arsenic, antimony, bismuth, and phosphorus. See also N-type semiconductor, P-type semiconductor.
ETYM Latin admiscere, admixtum, to admix; ad + miscere to mix. Related to Mix.
1. The state of impairing the quality or reducing the value of something; SYN. alloy.
2. An additional ingredient that is added by mixing with the base
3. The act of mixing together
1. A footrace run at top speed
2. A quick run; SYN. sprint.
3. Distinctive and stylish elegance; SYN. elan, flair, panache, style.
4. The act of moving with great haste; SYN. bolt.
5. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code; SYN. dah.
ETYM Dutch doop a dipping, from doopen to dip. Related to Dip.
Slang terms for inside information; SYN. poop, skinny, low-down.
1. A thick liquid or pasty preparation.
2. A preparation for giving a desired quality to a substance or surface.
3. Absorbent or adsorbent material used in various manufacturing processes (as the making of dynamite).
ETYM Latin impuritas: cf. French impureté.
1. The condition of being impure; SYN. impureness.
2. Worthless material that should be removed; SYN. dross.
Your right in a promissory note in which the maker promises to pay a certain amount of money at a certain time.
1. A sharp slap or blow; SYN. hit, slap.
2. The act of hitting something; SYN. smacking, slap.
3. An enthusiastic kiss; SYN. smooch.
A degree, usually a slight degree, of some color, taste, or something foreign, infused into another substance or mixture.