ETYM French captieux, Latin captiosus. Related to Caption.
Tending to find and call attention to faults; SYN. faultfinding.
Peevish; ready to take offence or find fault.
ETYM as. cranc weak ; akin to Icel. krangr, Dutch and German krank sick, weak (cf. Dutch krengen to careen). Related to Crank.
(Used of boats) Inclined to heel over easily under sail; SYN. cranky, tender, tippy.
Of, relating to, or being a cranky or eccentric person; also; made or sent by such a person.
Intended to deceive; - S.T.Coleridge; SYN. fallacious, fraudulent.
1. Deceitful, deceptive
2. Capable of being deceived
ETYM Cf. French déceptif. Related to Deceive.
1. Causing one to believe what is not true or fail to believe what is true; SYN. delusory.
2. Tending to deceive or mislead either deliberately or inadvertently; SYN. misleading.
Given to or marked by duplicity.
ETYM Latin mobilis, for movibilis, from movere to move: cf. French mobile. Related to Move.
1. Moving or capable of moving readily (especially from place to place).
2. Capable of changing quickly from one state or condition to another.
3. Having transportation available.
4. (Of groups of people) Tending to travel and change settlements frequently; SYN. nomadic, peregrine, roving, wandering.
1. Full of or ready with expedients; resourceful
2. Given to deception, evasion, or fraud; tricky; capable of evasive movement; elusive
3. Indicative of a tricky nature
4. Suspicious, untrustworthy
ETYM French volatil, Latin volatilis, from volare to fly, perhaps akin to velox swift, Eng. velocity. Related to Volley.
1. Tending to vary often or widely.
2. (Chemistry) Evaporating readily at normal temperatures and pressures.
Resembling or suggestive of a weasel.