To pose a threat to; present a danger to; SYN. jeopardize, menace, threaten, imperil, peril.
ETYM Latin impendere; pref. im- in + pendere to weigh out, pay.
To be imminent or about to happen.
1. To act in a threatening manner
2. To express a threat either by an utterance or a gesture
(Irregular preterit, past participle: spat).
1. To expel or eject from the mouth; SYN. ptyalize, spew, spue.
2. To utter with anger or contempt; SYN. spit out.
Ridge of sand or shingle projecting from the land into a body of water. It is deposited by waves carrying material from one direction to another across the mouth of an inlet (longshore drift). Deposition in the brackish water behind a spit may result in the formation of a salt marsh.
1. To be a menacing indication of something
2. To utter intentions of injury or punishment against