ETYM Latin depravitio, from depravare: cf. French dépravation. Related to Deprave.
1. Detraction; depreciation.
2. The act of depraving, or making anything bad; the act of corrupting.
3. The state of being depraved or degenerated; degeneracy; depravity.
4. Change for the worse; deterioration; perversion. SYN. Depravity; corruption. See Depravity.
Sinonimi: petty criticism
ETYM French détraction, Latin detractio.
A petty disparagement; SYN. petty criticism.
1. A lessening of reputation or esteem especially by envious, malicious, or petty criticism; belittling, disparagement.
2. A taking away.
ETYM Cf. Old Fren. desparagement.
1. A communication that belittles somebody or something; SYN. depreciation, derogation.
2. The act of speaking contemptuously of; SYN. dispraise.
ETYM Old Eng. scorn, scarn, scharn, Old Fren. escarn, escharn, eschar, of German origin; cf. Old High Germ. skern mockery, skernôn to mock; but cf. also Old Fren. escorner to mock.
To deride; to treat with mockery, contempt, and scorn; to despise.