ETYM Greek, in or under the earth, from chthon earth.
Of the underworld; SYN. chthonic, lower, nether.
Pertaining to the earth or the underworld.
ETYM Greek chthon, the earth.
Pertaining to Greek gods of underworld.
Pertaining to the earth; earthy.
Pertaining to or like a crypt.
ETYM French infernal, Latin infernalis, from infernus that which lies beneath, the lower. Related to Inferior.
1. Being of a lower world of the dead.
2. Characteristic of or resembling hell.
3. Relating to or inhabiting hell.
ETYM Latin subterraneus; sub under + terra earth. Related to Terrace.
1. Being or operating under the surface of the earth.
2. Lying beneath what is revealed or avowed, especially being deliberately concealed; SYN. ulterior.
1. Being below the surface of the ground
2. Done or occurring out of sight; secret; clandestine.