ETYM French division, Latin divisio, from dividere. Related to Divide.
1. Separation by the creation of a boundary that divides or keeps apart; SYN. partition, partitioning, segmentation, subdivision, sectionalization.
2. The act or process of dividing or splitting.
3. (Biology) A group of organisms forming a subdivision of a larger category.
4. (Botany) Taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum.
5. An administrative unit in government or business.
6. An arithmetic operation that is the inverse of multiplication; the quotient of two numbers is computed.
7. Discord that splits a group; SYN. variance.
8. An army unit large enough to sustain combat.
9. A group of ships of similar type.
10. A unit of the US air force usually comprising two or more wings.