An insulating layer of fat under the skin of whales and other large marine mammals; used as a source of oil.
Thick layer of fat under the skin of marine mammals, which provides an energy store and an effective insulating layer, preventing the loss of body heat to the surrounding water. Blubber has been used (when boiled down) in engineering, food processing, cosmetics, and printing, but all of these products can now be produced synthetically.
ETYM French cri, from crier to cry. Related to Cry.
1. The characteristic utterance of an animal.
2. A loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; SYN. outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation.
3. A loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); SYN. yell.
4. A fit of weeping.
1. The act or practice of wailing; loud lamentation
2. A usually prolonged cry or sound expressing grief or pain
3. A sound suggestive of wailing
4. A querulous expression of grievance; complaint