Sinonimi: ash tree
ETYM Old Eng. asch, esh, AS. aesc; akin to Old High Germ. asc, Swed. and Dan. ask, Icel. askr, Dutch esch, German esche.
1. Any of various deciduous pinnate-leaved ornamental or timber trees of the genus Fraxinus; SYN. ash tree.
2. Strong elastic wood of any of various ash trees; used for furniture and tool handles and sporting goods such as baseball bats.
3. The residue that remains when something is burned.
ETYM AS. sinder slag, dross; akin to Icel. sindr dross, Swed. sinder, German sinter, Dutch sintel; perh. influenced by French cendre ashes, from Latin cinis. Related to Sinter.
A fragment of incombustible matter left after a wood or coal or charcoal fire; SYN. clinker.
ETYM AS. dust; cf. LG. dust, Dutch duist meal dust, OD. doest, donst, and German dunst vapor, Old High Germ. tunist, dunist, a blowing, wind, Icel. dust dust, Dan. dyst mill dust; perh. akin to Latin fumus smoke, Eng. fume.
1. Fine powdery material such as dry earth or pollen that can be blown about in the air.
2. Free microscopic particles of solid material.