1. Slightly short of or not quite accomplished; ('most' is used informally for 'almost' as in). (Of actions or states)
2. All around or on all sides; SYN. around.
3. In or to a reversed position or direction; SYN. around.
4. In rotation or succession
5. In the area or vicinity; SYN. around.
6. To or among many different places or in no particular direction; SYN. around.
(Of quantities) Imprecise but fairly close to correct; SYN. about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so.
ETYM Pref. a- + round.
1. By a circular or circuitous route.
2. In a circle or circular motion.
3. In circumference.
4. To a particular destination either specified or understood.
Abbreviation for circa (Latin “about”); used with dates that are uncertain.
(Latin) “about” (abbr. c.)(Latin) Around; approximately; often used when a precise date is not known
At, in, or of approximately — used especially with dates
Apparently but not actually; also used in musical notation, as in sonata quasi fantasia (“sonata in the manner of a fantasia”).
As if; seemingly; in a manner
2. In some degree; somewhat; to some degree or extent; a little — used as a mild intensive
1. In, at, from, or to a place unknown or unspecified
2. To a place symbolizing positive accomplishment or progress
3. In the vicinity of; approximately
In or at or to some place; ('someplace' is used informally for 'somewhere'); SYN. someplace.
ETYM The latter spelling is less proper, but more commonly used.
1. Near that place; SYN. thereabouts.
2. Near that time or date; SYN. thereabouts.
1. Near that place or time
2. Near that number, degree, or quantity