ETYM French atrocité, Latin atrocitas, from atrox, atrocis, cruel.
1. A act of atrocious cruelty; SYN. inhumanity.
2. The quality of being shockingly cruel and inhumane; SYN. atrociousness, barbarity, barbarousness, heinousness.
ETYM From Barbarous.
1. The state or manner of a barbarian; lack of civilization.
2. Cruelty; ferociousness; inhumanity.
3. A barbarous or cruel act.
4. Barbarism; impurity of speech.
The quality or state of being barbarous; barbarity; barbarism.
ETYM Cf. French brutalité.
A brutal barbarous savage act; SYN. barbarity, barbarism, savagery.
Heartlessness, indifference to suffering; brutality
ETYM Old Fren. cruelté, French cruauté, from Latin crudelitas, from crudelis. Related to Cruel.
1. A cruel act; a deliberate infliction of pain and suffering; SYN. inhuman treatment.
2. Feelings of extreme heartlessness; SYN. mercilessness, pitilessness, ruthlessness.
3. The quality of being cruel and causing tension or annoyance; SYN. cruelness, harshness.
ETYM Latin ferocitas, from ferox, -ocis, fierce, kin to ferus wild: cf. French ferocité. Related to Fierce.
The property of being wild or turbulent; SYN. fierceness, furiousness, fury, vehemence, violence, wildness.
ETYM French sauvagerie.
1. The state of being savage; savageness; wildness.
2. An act of cruelty; barbarity; brutality.