1. Characterized by great cautious and wariness; SYN. cagy, chary.
2. Showing self-interest and shrewdness in dealing with others; SYN. cagy, canny, clever.
ETYM AS. cearful.
1. Cautiously attentive; SYN. heedful.
2. Exercising caution or showing care or attention.
3. (Archaic) Full of cares or anxiety.
4. Mindful of the future in spending money; SYN. thrifty.
5. With care and dignity; SYN. deliberate, measured.
ETYM Cf. Latin cautus, from caver. Related to Caution.
1. Showing careful forethought.
2. Unwilling to take risks.
3. Careful in attitude and careful in actions; prudent.
4. Avoiding excess; SYN. conservative.
Discreetly cautious or sparing.
ETYM Latin circumspectus, p. p. of circumspicere to look about one's self, to observe; circum + spicere, specere, to look. Related to Spy.
Heedful of potential consequences; SYN. discreet.
ETYM Latin deliberatus, p. p. of deliberare to deliberate; de- + librare to weigh. Related to Librate.
1. By conscious design or purpose; SYN. intentional, knowing, willful, wilful.
2. Marked by careful consideration or reflection.
With extreme care or delicacy.
Taken in advance to protect against possible danger or failure; SYN. precautional.
1. Heedful, observant
2. Full or expressive of regard or respect; respectful
1. Exhibiting or characterized by careful thought
2. Having intellectual depth
ETYM Latin vigilans, -antis, p. pr. of vigilare to watch, from vigil awake: cf. French vigilant. Related to Vigil.
Attentive to discover and avoid danger, or to provide for safety; wakeful; watchful; circumspect; wary.
Marked by keen caution and watchful prudence.