ETYM Latin desperatus, p. p. of desperare. Related to Despair, Desperado.
1. (Of persons) Dangerously reckless or violent as from urgency or despair.
2. Desperately determined; SYN. do-or-die.
3. Fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless; SYN. dire.
4. Showing extreme courage; especially of actions courageously undertaken in desperation as a last resort.
5. Showing extreme urgency or intensity especially because of great need or desire.
Acute; sharp; piercing; having or emitting a sharp, piercing tone or sound.
In intense despair.