ETYM Latin diffidens, -entis, p. pr. of diffidere; dif- = dis + fidere to trust; akin to fides faith. Related to Faith, Defy.
1. Lacking self-confidence; SYN. shy, timid, unsure.
2. Showing modest reserve.
3 Overly shy or modest. Shy; modest.
1. Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; SYN. dubious.
2. Open to doubt or suspicion; SYN. dubious, dubitable, in question.
3. Unsettled in mind or opinion; SYN. tentative.
ETYM Latin aequivocus: aequus equal + vox, vocis, word. Related to Equal, and Voice, Equivoque.
1. Open to question.
2. Open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead.
3. Uncertain as a sign or indication.
ETYM Latin precarius obtained by begging or prayer, depending on request or on the will of another, from precari to pray, beg. Related to Pray.
1. Affording no ease or reassurance; SYN. unstable.
2. Dangerously insecure.
3. Not secure; beset with difficulties; SYN. shaky.
ETYM French, p. pr. of ramper to creep. Related to Ramp.
1. Unrestrained and violent.
2. (Heraldry) Rearing on left hind leg with forelegs elevated and head usually in profile; SYN. rearing.
Heraldic animal portrayed on its hind legs.
Heraldry, rearing up on hind legs; fierce; dominating; exuberant; unrestrained; rank; Architecture, having one abutment higher than other.
1. Shaking or trembling
2. Full of shakes or cracks; cracked; such as:
3. Easily shaken; tottering; unsound