1. To be unable.
2. To be unsuccessful; SYN. go wrong, miscarry.
3. To become bankrupt or insolvent; fail financially and close.
4. To disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake; SYN. betray.
5. To fail to do something; leave something undone; SYN. neglect.
6. To fail to get a passing grade; SYN. flunk, bomb, flush it.
7. To fall short in what is expected.
8. To get worse.
9. To judge unacceptable.
10. To prove insufficient; SYN. run out, give out.
11. To stop operating or functioning; SYN. give way, die, give out, conk out, go, break, break down.
ETYM Icel. vanta to be wanting. Related to Want to lack.
1. To wish or demand the presence of.
2. To have need of; SYN. need, require.
3. To hunt or look for; want for a particular reason:.
4. To be without, lack; be deficient in; SYN. lack.