To fold into ridges.
To cover with crape; SYN. crepe.
1. To curl tightly, of hair; SYN. crape, frizzle, frizz, kink up, kink.
2. To make ridges into by pinching together; SYN. pinch.
To draw or press into wrinkles or folds to crush together; to rumple.
ETYM Obs. and r.
1. To contract one's lips into a rounded shape.
2. To gather or contract into wrinkles or folds; pucker; SYN. wrinkle.
1. To pierce with quills.
2. To wind (thread or yarn) on a quill.
3. To make a series of small rounded ridges in (cloth).
ETYM Perhaps of different origin from ruffle to wrinkle; cf. od. roffeln, roffen, to pander, lg. raffein, Dan. ruffer a pimp. Related to Rufflan.
1. To disturb the smoothness of; SYN. ruffle up, rumple, mess up.
2. To erect or fluff up; SYN. fluff.
3. To pleat or gather into a ruffle; SYN. pleat.
4. To trouble or vex.