1. To lay the basis of; to set, or place, as on something solid, for support; to ground; to establish upon a basis, literal or figurative; to fix firmly.
2. To take the first steps or measures in erecting or building up; to furnish the materials for beginning.
(Homonym: poor, pore).
1. To cause to flow from a container (said of liquids).
2. To flow in a spurt; of liquids.
3. To move in large numbers; SYN. swarm, stream.
4. To rain heavily; SYN. pelt, stream, rain cats and dogs, rain buckets.
5. To supply in large amounts or quantities.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: shed).
1. To cast off hair, skin, horn, or feathers; of animals; SYN. molt, exuviate, moult, slough.
2. To get rid of; SYN. cast, cast off, shake off, throw, throw off, throw away, drop.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: wept).
1. To lament; to bewail; to bemoan.
2.To shed, or pour forth, as tears; to shed drop by drop, as if tears.