[Citrus vulgaris] Južno voće kiselog ukusa bogato vitaminom C.
Sinonimi: citron tree | Citrus medica
ETYM French citron, Late Lat. citro, from Latin citrus citron tree (cf. citreum, sc. malum, a citron), from Greek kitron citron.
1. Large lemonlike fruit with thick aromatic rind; usually preserved.
2. Thorny evergreen small tree or shrub of India widely cultivated for its large lemonlike fruits that have thick warty rind; SYN. citron tree, Citrus medica.
Sinonimi: lemon tree | Citrus limon
ETYM French limon, Per. lîműn; cf. Arabic laiműn, Spanish limon, Italian limone. Related to Lime a fruit.
Sour fruit of the small, evergreen, semitropical lemon tree Citrus limon. It may have originated in NW India, and was introduced into Europe by the Spanish Moors in the 12th or 13th century. It is now grown in Italy, Spain, California, Florida, South Africa, and Australia.
1. A distinctive tart flavor characteristic of lemons.
2. A small evergreen tree that originated in Asia but is widely cultivated for its fruit; SYN. lemon tree, Citrus limon.
3. Yellow oval fruit with juicy acidic flesh.
Sinonimi: lime tree | Citrus aurantifolia
(tree) or linden; Deciduous tree, genus Tilia, of the family Tiliaceae native to the northern hemisphere. The leaves are heart-shaped and coarsely toothed, and the flowers are cream-colored and fragrant.
The small-leaved lime Tilia cardata is found in areas of ancient woodland in SE England.
Small thorny bush Citrus aurantifolia of the rue family Rutaceae, native to India. The white flowers are succeeded by light green or yellow fruits, limes, which resemble lemons but are more globular in shape.1. Any of various related trees bearing limes; SYN. lime tree, Citrus aurantifolia.
The green acidic fruit of any of various lime trees.