ETYM Written also neighbourhood.
(Alternate spelling: neighbourhood).
1. Neighborly relationship.
2. The quality or state of being neighbors; proximity.
3. A place or region near; vicinity; an approximate amount, extent, or degree.
4. The people living near one another; a section lived in by neighbors and usually having distinguishing characteristics.
5. The set of all points belonging to a given set whose distances from a given point are less than a given positive number; broadly; a set that contains a neighborhood.
6. People living near one another; SYN. neighbourhood.
Alternate (chiefly British) spelling for neighborhood.