ETYM Cf. French association, Late Lat. associatio, from Latin associare.
1. A formal organization of people.
2. Any process of combination (in solution) that depend on relatively weak chemical bonding.
3. The act of consorting with or joining with others.
4. The process of bringing ideas or events together in memory or imagination; SYN. connection, connexion.
5. The state of being connected together as in memory or imagination.
ETYM From Intimate.
The state of being intimate; close familiarity or association; nearness in friendship. SYN. Acquaintance; familiarity; fellowship; friendship.