To lead or tend, esp. with reference to a favorable or desirable result; to contribute; -- usually followed by to or toward.
1. To be conducive to; SYN. lead, conduce.
2. To contribute to some cause; SYN. give, chip in, kick in.
1. To bring in; as of investments; SYN. pay, bear.
2. To cease opposition; stop fighting.
3. To consent reluctantly; SYN. give in, succumb, knuckle under, buckle under.
4. To give in, as to influence or pressure; SYN. relent, soften.
5. To be the cause or source of; SYN. give, afford.