ETYM AS. efne. Related to Even, Een.
1. In spite of; notwithstanding.
2. To a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons; SYN. yet, still.
3. To the full extent.
4. Used as an intensifier, especially to indicate something unexpected.
ETYM as. stille quietly. Related to Still. The modern senses come from the idea of stopping and staying still, or motionless.
1. With reference to action or condition; without change, interruption, or cessation.
2. Without moving or making a sound; SYN. stock-still.
ETYM Old Eng. yet, yet, yit, AS. git, gyt, giet, gieta; akin to OFries. ieta, eta, ita, Mid. High Germ. iezuo, ieze, now, German jetzo, jetzt.
Up to the present time.