ETYM Shortened from aback.
1. At or to or toward or the back or rear; SYN. backward, backwards, rearward, rearwards.
2. In answer; SYN. in reply.
3. In or to or toward a former location.
4. In or to or toward a past time; SYN. backward.
5. In or to or toward an original condition.
6. In repayment or retaliation.
In the reverse direction; the opposite of forward.
1. On the fore part; in front, or in the direction of the front; -- opposed to in the rear.
2. In advance.
3. In time past; previously; already.
4. Earlier; sooner than; until then.
ETYM as. hrathor, compar. of hrathe, hraethe, quickly, immediately. Related to Rath.
1. On the contrary; SYN. instead.
2. To some (great or small) extent; SYN. kind of, kinda, sort of.
3. More correctly speaking.
4. To the contrary; instead.
5. In some degree; somewhat — often used as a mild intensive.
ETYM For sins, contr. from Old Eng. sithens, sithenes, formed by an adverbial ending (cf. Besides) from Old Eng. sithen, also shortened into sithe, sin, as. siththan, syththan, seoththan, afterward, then, since, after.
1. From a definite past time until now.
2. In the time past, counting backward from the present; before this or now; ago.
3. Because; as the result of.