1. To extend as far as,; SYN. extend to, touch.
2. To arrive at a point in time, or a certain state or level; SYN. hit, attain.
3. To attain a goal, e.g.,; SYN. make, get to, progress to.
4. To attain a destination, either real or abstract; SYN. attain, make, hit, arrive at, gain.
5. To move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense:; SYN. reach out.
6. To be in communication with, establish communication with; SYN. get through, get hold of, contact.
ETYM Pref. re- + gain: cf. French regagner.
To gain anew; to get again; to recover, as what has escaped or been lost; to reach again. SYN. To recover; reobtain; repossess; retrieve.