ETYM Latin recognitio: cf. French recognition. Related to Recognizance.
1. Approval; SYN. credit.
2. The process of recognizing something or someone by remembering; SYN. identification.
3. The state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged; SYN. acknowledgment, acknowledgement.
Alternate (chiefly British) spelling of recognize.
ETYM Written also recognise.
(Alternate spelling: recognise).
1. To identify from past experience.
2. To be fully aware or cognizant of; SYN. realize, agnize, agnise.
3. To detect with the senses; SYN. distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart.
4. To perceive to be the same.
5. To show approval or appreciation of.