1. To start running, functioning, or operating, as of lights or power; SYN. come up, come on.
2. When an electrical device or system goes on, it begins to operate.
3. When something goes on, it happens. "What's going on?" is a common informal greeting.
4. When people go on, they continue doing something. Sometimes, on is repeated for emphasis.
5. When an event or activity goes on, it continues.
6. When you go on information, you are able to continue an investigation or other project because you have this information.
7. When you go on a diet, you start a plan to lose weight.
8. you say "Go on"to people, you are encouraging them to do something.