4. To take proceedings to have (a case) reheard in a higher court
(Irregular preterit, past participle: bid; or: bade).
1. To ask for or request earnestly; SYN. beseech, entreat, adjure, press.
2. To make a bid for.
3. To make a demand in card games, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands; SYN. call.
ETYM See 1 st Irritant.
To cause to be in a worse state.
To cause to feel resentment or indignation; SYN. offend.
1. To agitate; SYN. toss.
2. To move very slightly; SYN. shift, budge, agitate.
3. To move with a stirring motion
1. To annoy persistently; SYN. badger, harass, pester, bug, beleaguer.
2. To harass with persistent criticism or carping; SYN. rag, cod, tantalize, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride.
3. To disentangle and raise the fibers of; SYN. tease apart, loosen.
4. To ruffle by combing towards the ends towards the scalp, for a full effect; of hair; SYN. fluff.
5. To separate the fibers of; SYN. card.
6. To tear into pieces
7. To raise the nap of (fabrics).