ETYM Old Eng. balled, ballid, perh. the p. p. of ball to reduce to the roundness or smoothness of a ball, by removing hair. But cf. W. bali whiteness in a horse's forehead.
1. Lacking hair on all or most of the scalp; SYN. bald-headed, bald-pated.
2. With no effort to conceal; SYN. barefaced.
3. Without the natural or usual covering; SYN. bare, denuded, denudate.
ETYM Old Eng. bar, bare, AS. baer; akin to Dutch and German baar, Old High Germ. par, Icel. berr, Swed. and Dan. bar, Old Slav. bosu barefoot, Lith. basas; cf. Skr. bhâs to shine.
1. Completely unclothed; SYN. au naturel, naked, nude.
2. Denuded of leaves.
3. Apart from anything else; without additions or modifications; SYN. mere, simple.
4. Having extraneous everything removed including contents; SYN. stripped.
5. Just barely adequate or within a lower limit; SYN. marginal.
6. Lacking a surface finish such as paint; SYN. unfinished.
7. Lacking in amplitude or quantity; SYN. scanty, spare.
8. Providing no shelter or sustenance; SYN. barren, bleak, desolate, stark.
9. Showing ground without the usual covering of grass.
ETYM Old Eng. calewe, calu, bald, AS. calu; akin to Dutch kaal, Old High Germ. chalo, German Kuhl; cf. Latin calvus.
Lacking experience of life; SYN. inexperienced, naive, unsophisticated.
ETYM as. nacod; akin to Dutch naakt, German nackt, Old High Germ. nacchot, nahhot, Icel. nökvithr, nakinn, Swed. naken, Dan. nögen, Goth. naqaths, Lith. nugas, Russ. nagii, Latin nudus, Skr. nagna. Related to Nude.
1. Having no protecting or concealing cover; SYN. defenseless.
2. Devoid of elaboration or diminution or concealment; bare and pure; SYN. raw.
3. (Of the eye or ear e.g.) Without the aid of an optical or acoustical device or instrument; SYN. unaided.
ETYM Latin nudus. Related to Naked.
Bare; naked; unclothed.
1. In an exposed manner; without protection or defense.
2. Without clothing.
Nakedly, in the manner of being unclothed; in an exposed manner, in the manner of not being concealed