ETYM Old Eng. briht, AS. beorht, briht; akin to OS. berht, Old High Germ. beraht, Icel. bjartr, Goth. baírhts.
1. Abounding with sunlight; SYN. shining, shiny, sunshiny, sunny.
2. Emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts.
3. Made smooth and bright by or as if by rubbing; reflecting a sheen or glow; SYN. burnished, lustrous, shining, shiny.
4. Clear and sharp and ringing; SYN. brilliant.
5. Characterized by quickness and ease in learning; SYN. smart.
6. Full or promise; SYN. promising.
7. Having lots of light either natural or artificial.
8. Having striking color; SYN. brilliant, vivid.
9. Characterized by happiness or gladness.
ETYM Latin luminare to illuminate + -escent.
Emitting light not caused by heat.
ETYM Latin luminosus, from lumen light: cf. French lumineux. Related to Luminary, Illuminate.
1. Shining; emitting or reflecting light; brilliant; bright.
2. Illuminated; full of light; bright.
3. Enlightened; intelligent; also, clear; intelligible.
In a luminous manner.