ETYM Pref. a- + head.
1. Ahead of time; in anticipation; SYN. in advance, beforehand.
2. At or in the front; SYN. in front, before.
3. In a forward direction; SYN. onward, onwards, forward, forwards, forrader.
4. Leading or ahead in a competition; SYN. out front, in the lead.
5. To a different or a more advanced time (meaning advanced either toward the present or toward the future).
6. To a more advanced or advantageous position.
7. Toward the future; forward in time; SYN. forward.
1. In front; before.